Friday, August 16, 2013

Stage 3: Secondary Prep work


Today, I found some issues that need to be dealt with
on this guitar.

The first one are these two holes for the "float plate"
that mounts inside the rear panel. This guitar, being an
economical guitar, evidently had less "quality control"
before it left the factory, b/c you'd never see something
like this on a high-end Fender. Anyway, these two holes
are not going to be a big issue, because I'm just going to
drill them out and fill them with a wooden dowel rod and
then re-drill fresh holes so that the float is centered properly.

Here is this picture, you can clearly see how out of line
that the float plate mounting holes are with the body of
the guitar.


Now, the three pictures are probably the biggest issue
as there is a crack on either side of the neck mount
on the body. These two cracks only became visible after
the enamel and layer of paint was removed.

Commonly, I would guesstimate that most people would
scrap the project, but if you know what you're doing, 
this can be fixed. Also, this guitar was given to me and
I'm wanting to keep the costs down of buying replacement
parts as I could easily get a new body or neck or whatever
from Warmoth, which is a guitar parts supplier, but this is an
art project, so I'm not fazed. The big money will be in 
the electronics when the paint work is completed.




From what I have learned is that even
a lot of Fender Strat's have pickup jack holes
without a recessed section for the cable. 
This generally isn't an issue, but it's nice to have
room to work with, so I drilled out a bit more.



No comments:

Post a Comment